Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Haircut

So what did you do last night? Have a nice, cozy FHE? Watch the women's Olympic trampoline finals? Me--I cried my eyes out. I will explain. We had a nice family dinner then I started doing the dishes, and Snow had a paper to write, so as a special treat he let Saylor sit in the computer chair and watch an episode of Wonderpets online. She was, of course completely mesmerized. In fact she didn't even make a peep. I took advantage of her being occupied and started cleaning a bathroom. What a rookie mom mistake! Isn't it rule number one that a too quiet child is getting into trouble. So once the bathroom is done I come to get Saylor and this is what I see:

Yep, Saylor climbed onto the desk and found her kid scissors and went to town. She sees me and says "Mom, I breaked my hair, you gotta fix it." Sorry kid, no Dora band aid is going to fix this problem!I will say this for her: she was very thorough. No half-hearted snip of the bangs here, the top of her head is pretty much hairless.I don't know about where you live, but here EMO bangs on a mullet are not the latest toddler hair craze.Yep, she looks pretty repentant right?Psych! I don't even think my talented stylist sister can salvage this do, at least for a few months. So do I take a page out of my elderly neighbor's handbook and go for the comb-over? Maybe I pretend she is a newborn here in Utah and put a giant flower band on her head. Really, I am at a loss. So much for the pictures I had planned for next week. Snow and I did come up with one positive each.

Snow: at least her bangs won't be getting in her eyes (ha, ha, ha--I am not amused).

Summer: at least I have something to put on the blog.

16 comments:

Shelley Reid said...

Oh no! Of course she cuts it in the most conspicuous place, she couldn't have snipped the ends where you could turn it into a cute little bob. I feel for you. She still is adorable though!

Kelly said...

I can't believe she took it all off the top! I like the positives you guys came up with though! Her smile looks like she is pretty proud of her work. I don't know what I would do, but no matter what, with that sweet smile not even a bad hair-do can take away from her cuteness!

Sarah said...

I am so sad for you! Thanks for warning me to my own kid scissors under lock and key. Kennedy is just now starting to want to cut like big sister--scary. My friend's daughter did this awhile back and she's been wearing headbands for awhile to cover the damage--I love the non-repentant look; too cute.

Jan Scarpino said...

Sad....... My little angel bug has a mullet! No worries, I will fix it for you this weekend. Love ya!

Mama F said...

My sister's three daughers have all cut their hair at least once. Her five year old just cut it for the fifth time! I would throw all the scissors away if that kept happening! So sad that her cute pony tail is gone. You could always find a cute hat, and say she is really sensitive to light. Then you should be able to keep it covered until the snow melts. That is plenty of time for it to grow back out.

Laura said...

Abigail cut her hair when she was about 2 1/2. I was so mad I made Joel come home from work. I thought I was going to kill her. Earlier that day I had trimmed her hair. She told me she didn't want it trimmed, but really really long. I explained TRIMMING can help make it grow. Later that night while making dinner, Abigail comes up to me with scissors and a bunch of her hair in her hand and says, "look Mommmy, now my hair will grow soooo fast!"

Than and Erica said...

I'm sorry. But I'm kind of laughing, too. It's only a matter of time before Camry does something like that! At least you have Jan!
Hey--where are your BYU tickets? Than is planning on tailgaiting the first game....wanna join????

The Joys of Boys said...

That's so sad! I guess this in one advantage to having all boys. If they give themselves a haircut I can just buzz it off. She is still super cute!

Real Life Roberts said...

OH MY!!! She is so cute...so sorry about the haircut...good thing you will have the story to tell and the pictures to show!!

Ashley said...

Oh man, that is so funny...and SAD. I totally know how you feel. But think how funny these pics will be when she gets married :) I'm hiding all scissors now!

Leah said...

Oh Sum! I would have cried my eyes out too!!! My kids have yet to do that yet but I just KNOW it will come one day. And when it does man will it be hard. At least their hair grows fast and in a little bit she will have a cute bob. Hang in there girl. I'm sorry!

PatrickandErica said...

This reminds of when I was a little girl... Okay, fine, it was 2 months ago! I decided I wanted bangs, so a snip here, and a few more there. Let's just say, that they are now to the point that they can be "fixed" and look good. Sometimes growing up is hard!

the Pearce Place said...

that is adorable--- it seems like every kid has to have one of those stories. Mind don't, yet... maybe they never will. It sure does make a great blog post!

Mary Jane said...

I have two friends who, after having this happen several times, have given up and just completely buzzed both of their girls' hair. I don't recommend it, but I think it's hilarious because it's the ultimate "I quit!" statement. I know you'll figure something out. Saylor could pull off any hairdo and still be adorable!

The Warr's said...

summer! i'm finding all my old friends...thank goodness for the blog world! i'm so sad for little saylor's hair, she's so dang cute so it will be all right! i guess it's bound to happen to all of us! your little fam is darling! send me your email and i will invite you to our family blog...my only connection to the outside world! johannajohnson@hotmail.com

Ward Family said...

I came acrosss your blog! You guys are the cutest family! I hate to admit it but your last post was kind of comforting since my child seems to do this kind of thing on a daily basis! I now just call him the "distroyer". But when you think about it I think we all did something tragic with our hair when we were kids. I just got mine stuck in tiny 80's round hairbrush so tight that I had no choice but to cut it.
Saylor is still daring! Good luck with everything his month!!!!