Monday, July 14, 2008

How We Have Been Spending July

The Summer has been flying by quickly--so quickly that I have once again gotten behind on the blog. I wanted to take a minute to share with you how we have spent the last few weeks. I am sorry if this is a long entry--You are welcome to revert to your childhood days of just looking at the pictures if my narration is too dull.


Some of our bigger news is that Snow is doing Ophthalmology full-time now. He is pleased that he spends his time doing what interests him, but sadly, the hours have not improved by much.

Other big news--Saylor is potty trained. I had been putting this task off for a really long time, but I finally got brave and 2 weeks ago Saylor and I got to work. It was actually pretty easy. I read a book called toilet training in less than a day, and it really only took about 4 hours. They were not pleasant 4 hours, but still I had no idea she would pick it up so fast. I think she was just ready emotionally and physically, but she has been a champ and surprisingly, it hasn't cramped our style too much--No searching frantically for a bathroom with a cart full of groceries or anything yet!

Snow and I made a little get-away to St. George a couple of weeks ago. It was so nice--my grandma and mom watched Saylor for 4 days. We stayed at my parent's condo so it was pretty budget friendly. It was glorious to have nothing to do but watch movies (in the theater!!) and go out to eat. We also saw Les Miserables at Tuachan. It was amazing--the setting was gorgeous and since it is outside that did some pretty unique staging including fireworks and horse drawn carriages. It was warm, but not unbearable. I will say that the seats were not made for Biggest Loser contestants, and the portly gentleman who happened to be sitting next to me was kind of invading my personal space. Also, Snow got stuck sitting by a guy with gas (sorry to be so indelicate)he spent a lot of the show with his program over his nose. Otherwise the cast was really talented and it was totally worth seeing.

Saylor has been spending a lot of time out doors in her swimming suit. I slather her with sunscreen, but I am really jealous of her tan.


Her favorite activity indoors, when things are just too toasty outside is to play "fashion show". She likes to dress up and have me describe her outfit and she isn't content until I have used such adjectives as "stunning" "enchanting" and "lovely".

Saylor's other favorite indoor activity is hide-and-go-seek. She is not very good at this game. She hides in the same 2 spots every time and they are both in plain view. The other day I was upstairs making dinner and I heard the familiar call "Mom--come find me" I came down stairs and checked the usual spots and couldn't find her.

Somehow I failed to notice the toy crates mysteriously stacked on top of each other. For the first time when Saylor hid, I couldn't seek.

Finally, this last weekend Snow had a glorious Saturday off. After mowing the lawn we took a family hike. We brought Saylor so our hike was only about 20 yards long, but it was nice to be outside together. We also went to a Real Soccer game which was really fun. The boisterous crown made Saylor a little nervous. You can tell by the deer-in-headlights expression that she has while clapping. She ended up hiding between our arms for protection. It was a good time

7 comments:

Tiffany Lamb said...

The narritive was not to bad and the pictures are cute. Do you walk around all day with the camrea? You get the best pictures. I'm glad your having a good summer. We are melting here in Tucson. Rob and I will be up that way the first part of Aug. Maybe we can get together.

Kelly said...

I'm jealous of your little getaway to St. George. I would love a few days to just watch movies, eat out and think about nothing else. Saylor is so cute. I really want to see her again because she seems like she has such a cute personality!

Jan Scarpino said...

Umm...I had to steal the pic of Saylor with the sunglasses on. How stinking cute is she!? I miss my little Buggy that is suddenly growing up too fast! I am excited for Friday,Love our sister days!

The Joys of Boys said...

I totally had to laugh at your Tuacahn experience because the same thing happened to us! We were covering our noses the whole time! You'd think they'd take a hint. :) Next time you're down give me a call. We need to get together more often. See you at the reunion!

Leah said...

I love this post. Saylor is such a cute kid. I can't believe she is potty trained. So nice for you! Be ready for her asking to go potty at every single place you go because for some strange reason kids think they have to check out every restroom on the planet. Good luck with that...I'm still doing it :)
Looks like you guys got to spend some much needed time together. Now if I could get a weekend like that with my hubby that would rock...I think it will come after school though.
Glad to hear Snow is doing more of what he enjoys, I just wish for your sake (and his) that it wasn't the same long hours. Hang in there.
Have fun this weekend...wish I were there with you pretty princesses!!!

the Pearce Place said...

She is getting so big and so beautiful! Congratulations on the potty training, I"ll have to find that book for the next one. Isn't it nice to enjoy a summer outside for the first time in 4 years?!?!

Shelley Reid said...

I wish that we could have fashion shows at our house. I don't think that Darren would be to happy about that happening with Dylan and Colin. We need to get together again for a play date, now that most of the summer activities are over. It was fun seeing you on Saturday!