Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Hike to Buffalo Point

Last weekend was the first that Snow has had off in 6 weeks, plus the weather was great so we tried hard to take advantage. After Saylor's soccer game( see previous post) we grabbed some smoothies and headed out for a family hike on antelope island. It would be a gross exaggeration if I told you that this was the most scenic spot I have ever encountered, but it was fun. At least it would have been fun if it weren't for the No See Ums. Yeah, we didn't know what they were either, but believe me we learned. They are some bizarre biting gnat that were thriving out there on the Great Salt Lake. At first I thought I was crazy because my scalp was stinging and itching like crazy--but all we could see were these annoying little gnats swarming us, and gnats are harmless right? WRONG! Lets just say that we learned first-hand about the enhanced interrogation techniques used at Gitmo involving insects, and had I been privy to any government secrets I would have been singing songbird to stop the madness. This is gross, but each time a tried to scratch my scalp to ease my discomfort I came away with bugs under my nails! The only person not bothered by the little buggers was Saylor. She had the best time ever, and was loving climbing the huge boulders. I guess if soccer doesn't work out, she might have a future in rock climbing, she was surprisingly fearless. Sadly we never made it to the end of Buffalo Point--we just couldn't take it. I guess we will have to do a little more research before our next family outing. I have reluctantly included (for those of you who have been pestering me for it) a picture of me: fat belly, fat face, fat bootie and all. This may be more gross to some of you that the bugs under my nails! Oh well, only 5 weeks to go.

8 comments:

Kelly said...

Only 5 weeks to go!? Wow time goes fast. And, Saylor looks so cute in her little soccer uniform! I think Steve has decided that he's not doing a fellowship but it's still up in the air. How about Snow? Does Snow still have to study a lot? Steve has so much reading and studying still! Can't wait-2 more years!

Tara said...

Hiking? I'll just continue typing and eating my M & M's and pretend I didn't read that overexerting, exhausting part. I am really applauding your ambition and supermom abilities. However, next time break it to us lazy moms a little lighter.

Sarah said...

You look great! I can't wait to see what your boy will look like.

We have been thinking about getting Kennedy that same bike. Now I really want it--hours of entertainment? Sign me up.

Than and Erica said...

You are hot, and that soccer picture of saylor is adorable.

Leah said...

No way you only have five weeks. Wow. Props to you chica for hiking 35 weeks pregnant. I would have been right with you on being extremely annoyed with the pesky buggers. That's great you guys got to go though. Memories are what it's all about!

BBB said...

You look great. Only 5 weeks!! Whoohoo! Good luck with delivery.

Ty, Whit & Bree said...

Ok, you stuck it out a lot longer then I would have. As soon as I was pulling bugs out of my hair, I would have been out of there. But at least Sailor had fun. Can't wait till your little guy is here!!!

Sunny said...

You look great! The rest of us wish we looked that good at 35 weeks! As for the bugs, I've never heard of them before - yuck! Did you guys itch like crazy afterward too? Saylor is so cute. Can't wait to see pics of your little guy:)