Friday, June 5, 2009

I am obsessed!

One of our neighbors mentioned that he knew of a great place to garden if any one didn't have room in their yard and we decided to jump on board. We have a little plot in a good-sized orchard where I am trying my hand at cultivating the land. I didn't cheat this year--I used seeds (except for my tomatoes of course). I have become completely obsessed--I don't know if it is part of the whole nesting thing, but I go check on it every day, hoe in hand. Saylor and I planted everything, and two weeks later nothing had sprouted. I cried. Then I decided to start the plants at home in one of those jiffy greenhouses. I transplanted my seedlings and found that most things had finally started growing on their own. My neighbor is a farmer, and while I often feel chagrin in his presence because I don't know what I am doing, he has been so helpful. I learned that it isn't necessary to pick weed by hand--that is what a hoe is for. He taught me how to set up a watering system that is super handy--I just have to turn on a sprinkler every 4 or 5 days. He also taught me how to help my fragile home-grown seedling make the transplant. This is a picture of my progress so far. It doesn't look like much, but I am so proud. I never thought I would like watering, weeding, and caring for these plants, but it has been so enjoyable. I can't wait to eat my garden -grown tomatoes and carve our very own pumpkins this year.

4 comments:

BBB said...

This is so awesome!!! I'm so proud (and jealous) of you and want to become a master gardener someday soon.

Dan, Abby, and I would love to go hiking with you guys!!!

Real Life Roberts said...

good for you!!! everyone has to start somewhere and then you learn something new every season!

Tawni Williams said...

I'm seriously forever impressed by you - you are amazing

Leah said...

You go girl!!!!