Monday, November 19, 2007

Doggie Days

Snow: I thought kids only did that if they felt insecure--if their environment was chaotic.

Summer: No, I think it is normal for kids to have a favorite blanket to carry around, Saylor just chose something different.


Meet the object of this conversation, and the new bane of my existence:


Sure, he looks innocent enough in this picture, but he has a hold over our daughter that we never dreamed of. She refuses to go anywhere or do anything without him. She wakes up with him and carries him around wherever we go for the day. No matter what other toys she is playing with, you can be sure that doggie is in hand. She won't let me take him away when she eats, and goes into hysterics when I tried to pry him away afterwards to wash him off. It is almost impossible to change her clothes because, like a raccoon holding something shiny, she will not let go. I actually thought it was endearing until a couple of nights ago. She woke up 5 times screaming "Doggie, doggie, help! Doggie!" because he had fallen out between the slats of her crib. In my half asleep state it was quite the ordeal to find him. Let me tell you, I was none too pleased to see him in the morning! Oh well, like so many other funny stages, I am sure it will be fleeting, and I will probably even miss it!





7 comments:

Shelley Reid said...

So Funny! At least her doggie is small and easily washable. By the way Saylor is such a pretty little girl! She looks so much like you.

Leah said...

That is great! I will admit that none of my children have absolutely HAD to have one of thier toys or blankie's so I can't sympathize with you there. I can't believe she woke up crying for her doggie. I think it's funny and I'm sure you didn't at the moment but probably now! :) Kids are so funny! What a character!

Ashley said...

How funny! I love that you have actual proof of the obsession in a myriad of situations. You're in BIG trouble if doggie ever goes missing!

Laura said...

Hey Summer, I don't know if you remember but Abigail had her piglet--she still has him. She sleeps with him every night, takes him to the store, and asks to bring him to preschool. She'll be 4 on Sunday. Hope it works out for you!

Than and Erica said...

Hilarious! I love kids. You need to create one of those little pacifier holder-oner things so she doesn't wake you up in hysterics when the dog is missing!

Alms said...

that doggie has nothing except Saylor, no family to go home to nothing, saylor is bringing it in and making it a part of her life:) Saylor is so cute

Kelly said...

That is so funny that she likes this hard, plastic, tiny puppy! Usually it's some kind of soft blankie or stuffed animal! She is so dang cute. Alyssa has a bear blanket she sleeps with every night. We would be in big trouble if she ever lost it. We even thought about buying a second one for back up just in case! That little puppy is so small, better know where it is at all times! I also love the post about killing the ants. She's got a lot of personality!