Thursday, November 29, 2007

Happy Birthday Saylor

Saylor turned 2 on Thanksgiving day. I wanted to make sure that it was a special day for her--that it didn't get overlooked in favor of the big, busy holiday. Saylor loves butterflies so I made that our theme. I got butterfly plates, napkins and table clothes. I obtained a pair of wings for her to wear for the occasion. I made her a (hideous and nasty tasting) butterfly cake. And, in my best Martha Stewart imitation, I cut out a gazillion butterflies and glued them to her presents in the place of bows. We decided to celebrate the night before with my family so we could stay the night there and enjoy Thanksgiving with them too. It was a very long and stressful day for us. Between finishing up that loathsome cake, to wrapping up the B-day details, to packing for a weekend away, and getting stuck in traffic for 2 hours in transit to my parent's house--none of us were in a very festive mood by the time we arrived.
We let Saylor go play while we waited for pizza to come, but once she was down in her grandparent's play room, there was no getting her back. She threw a giant tantrum when we tried to get her to open presents.
She refused to have any cake and ice cream but did at least blow out the candle after some coaxing.
She did, however, like her new toys--In fact, she wanted each of them out of the package to play with right then.
I'm not going to lie, by the end of the night I was feeling frustrated. I had stressed myself out over this bash and the guest of honor was not duly impressed. Then I remembered, she was turning 2, not 22. The next morning she woke up at 5:30 so excited to play with her new toys--apparently she felt that the big event was a success. Mental notes: 1. two-year-olds don't care about coordinated party themes. 2. Leave the cake making to the experts. 3. Don't take ill-tempered toddlers personally.

5 comments:

Tiffany Lamb said...

I can't belieive she is 2...what happened to all the time? Didn't you just bring her home from the hosptial? Hope you guys have a great Christmas. Miss ya.

Tiffany

Diana said...

I love this entry! Birthdays get a little more fun by the time they are 3 (at least Carter's was) so maybe a coordinating theme next year. Something like DORA! :)

Than and Erica said...

You just make me laugh...in a good way! :)

Laura said...

Abigail's first birthday was on thanksgiving--I learned quickly not to do a whole lot for birthdays until about 3. They enjoy it a lot more. Happy Birthday Saylor!

Leah said...

the notes to self are all very true!! You are a great mom! She looks adorable!